This day encourages Americans to commit to recycling, this had been a program of Keep America Beautiful since 2009. To raise awareness there are thousands of events across the United States to raise awareness about the importance of recycling. As a commitment to recycling and buying products made from recycled materials, you can take a pledge.
There are events all the time here in Orlando that is focused on recycling. Come out meet new people and help save the world. Here are some events that are happening:
KSC’s America Recycles Day (ARD) Events– November 14-15th at Kennedy Space Center
NBC Tower Plastic Bag Collection– November 15th on Howell Branch Rd.
Electronic Waste Collection Event– November 15th at Recycle all Electronic
Any H&M– November 16th
Orange County Recycles Day 2017– November 18th at Orange County Landfill
Downtown Orlando is keeping our city beautiful with newly installed solar-powered recycling and waste units. For more information on Keep Orlando Beautiful (KOB). If none of these interest you there is much more all year long, just keep an eye out for events in your area.
Do you need some ideas on how you can keep America clean? Check out these awesome 10 ideas from Harmony Enterprises, INC.
- “Find out if carton recycling is available in your area. If it’s not, talk to your local recycling center about recycling cartons. The Carton Council has some great resources.
- Stop throwing away clothing and household textiles. Find a local clothing recycler or contact Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART) to find out where to donate.
- Encourage your kids to recycle at school. If recycling is not widely available at your school, talk to the principal, superintendent, or PTO about it.
- Avoid plastic bags by bringing your own bag, or simply declining the bag when you can. When you have excess plastic bags, dry cleaner bags, or newspaper bags, bring them to your local retailer to recycle.
- Take the “I Recycle” pledge, and invite your friends to do the same. Businesses can also pledge to recycle more.
- Talk to your kids about recycling. Beyond the typical paper, plastic, and aluminum, how can they recycle their clothes, toys, or electronics? How can they use recycled items into art projects or gifts?
- Find or host a recycling event in your area and take part! There are thousands of America Recycles Day events being held around the country.
- Get familiar with what you CAN and CAN’T recycle. Here is a great refrigerator list, and a few more items you probably forgot. Recyclable items can also vary by where you live, so check with your local recycling center too.
- Get inspired! Go to the America Recycles Day website to find out what other communities and companies are doing. You may also be inspired by Sweden’s 99% recycling rate or what recycling centers like Winneshiek County are doing.
- Buy recycled when you can! When you purchase items that are made from recycled materials, you help eliminate the need for virgin materials. Buying art made of recycled materials can be even more meaningful.
Keep Orlando beautiful, keep America beautiful, keep the world beautiful. Get out in your community find out ways you can help fight the war on waste.